Studies- Text

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Back to School


Night before, pick out three outfits... 
which will make the right impression?

Night before, read the Hebrew chapters one more time...
am I doing this right?

Night before, try to get some sleep...
am I in over my head?

Night before, set 2 alarms...
is it morning yet?

Night before, reflect, meditate, breathe...
what the heck am I doing here?

Night before, wait what time is it?...
did I oversleep? 

Morning of, what time is it? ...
I'm up before the alarm!

Morning of, colored pens, notebooks, water bottle... 
Yep, all in my backpack!

Morning of, ready to walk to school...
Only 12 minutes!

Morning of, 
where do I sit?
who will be my friend?
what am I doing here?
what was I thinking?
remembering to breathe
Morning of... hey, 
I know that man over there...
Morning of...
warm smiles, welcoming faces 
Morning of...
I got this!
I'm here to learn
I'm ready

Night of...
saturated with Hebrew, Torah, Talmud

Night of...
humbled, overwhelmed and excited

Night of...
filled with gratitude for this day, this experience

בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה רוּחַ אֱלֹהֵינוּ מֶלֶךְ הַעוֹלָם שֶׁהֶחֱיָנוּ וְקִיְּמָנוּ וְהִגִּיעָנוּ לַזְּמַן הַזֶּה


On the first day, we had opening circle. Each person had to answer these questions:
1. Your name
2. Where are you from?
3. What did you do last year? 
4. Next year? 
5. Share something that's not on your resume...

I said:
Tamy Cohen Jacobs
From Chicago*, for now Jerusalem
Deputy Director of ALEPH Alliance for Jewish Renewal feel free to talk to me about Jewish Renewal
Next year?! Don't know yet, hopefully, will be starting a new job :-)
I am a connector. I'm a really good listener. I'm also very friendly, I'm the person who says Boker Tov, Hello to everyone. 

I'd love to read your answers to these questions. Send me an email  tcj224@gmail.com  
 
With love/אהבתי,
Tamy


*PS Three of us are from Highland Park,IL 



12 comments:

  1. WOW! What a way to enter the new year. כל הכבוד לך!
    Warmly,
    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful first day--sounds like the beginning of an awesome semester! Shanah tovah um'tukah, may all the learning be sweet in your mouth, strong in your heart, clarifying in your mind! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mazel tov on a new beginning. Bring the professional learning collaboration you do so well to any future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the poetry of your first day of school! It is exciting to see how the unfolding of each unknown moment leads to a moment of knowing that leads to the next unknown moment. What a dance! Shanah tovah um'tukah, that you may be in the dance of learning with a heart of presence and wonder. Love you dear Tamy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi dear tamy...how wonderful to read about your first day.
    i was able to read the shechianu prayer in hebrew! i feel you and your magnificent spirit dear spirit sister.
    blessings, love, endurance...shanah tovah Sh'maiya (the shabbos g..)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing experience, Tamy. Sending lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shauna Tovah ! I am experiencing the teacher version of this. Always get anxious before the start of the semester. Have one very small and engaged class on Economics of Black Community Development, and a class of 85 in introductory economics (more challenging for me).
    .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea YOU‼️ SO very proud of you.. mostly for getting up before alarm! How well I know you! Throwing a ❌❌to you as I drive pass your house on the way to 8am yoga��

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like 5779 is going to be an amazing year! L'Shana Tova.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are funny! and creative, and all the other good stuff about you - you will do just fine.
    Your blog takes me down memory lane when I spent time in Jerusalem studying at the Hebrew University, Yakar and, yes, also Pardes. Sweet sweet exciting time. Take advantage of EVERYTHING and don't forget to breath. In Jerusalem you might need more of it than any other place on earth (smile). Much love and Shana TOvah u'Metuka, ori

    ReplyDelete
  11. Three from Highland Park...out of how many

    Wherever you go, there we are

    ReplyDelete