Studies- Text

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Have You Put More Love in the World Today?


Love is a contagious thing

Hi friends, 
I’d like to tell you a little story that happened to me on the first of July. 
I needed someone to help me with Hebrew, my usual people were busy. I had to call my insurance company to ask them a couple of questions. Some of it was in English, that was great but then I pushed 5 for traveler's insurance and it was only in Hebrew. And not words that I knew.
I was having one of those moments, I was very frustrated. Not a happy camper.
As I was walking home I saw what seem to be a kind-looking man sitting on a bench. I’m not sure why but I decided to stop and ask if he spoke English. 

He said yes. 
I said could you help me listen to the choices and tell me which one I should push. 
He said of course. 
So he listened and as we waited I told him what I needed. 
And when the insurance agent came on the phone he asked her in Hebrew do you have traveler's insurance for the United States? 
לא, לא, לא!
 
I totally understood what she was saying. 
NO, no, no!
I asked him to ask again I’m already a member of this insurance company will that help?!
לא
We thanked her and hung up. 
I asked him if I could buy him and his friend some ice cream? How about a cold drink? Something for their help he said thank you no, we are fine. 
I said but you just really helped me and he said it was so easy, my pleasure. Have a good trip come back soon.

The whole exchange took maybe three minutes at most. 


Years ago one of my teachers, Rabbi Shohama Harris Wiener did a class on angels. You know the kind, those guardian angels, people who just show up when you need them. One of the questions she asked was was there ever a time when you needed something and surprise there was the person there to help you… 

Change a flat tire… 
     Give you a coin for the laundry machine… 
          Help you load up your car with your groceries. 
Reb Shohama tied those people to the angels who pop in to help us on our way. She cited the Joseph story when he is looking for his brothers. A man asks him if he needs help. We do know the man's name or where he comes from. His whole purpose it seems is to help Joseph.

In this last week's Parsha*, a Moab King wants to hire a “magician” to curse the Jewish people. The magician, Baalam can only speak words from G!d so instead of curses he blesses the people. This happens three times before the king gives up. 

My take away… sometimes things that seem like curses really blessings.
 
So on the first of July as I walked home I started thinking about who that man was and how he just happened to have a nice look about him and how it allowed me to ask him to help me. It’s not what I usually do. And as I kept walking the song More Love popped into my head. Billy Jonas asks 

Did you put more love in the world today? 
There is just one task and all that matter is the answer when the question asked. 
Did you put more love in the world today? 
More love on your way to the setting sun? 
There is only one measure when you can honestly say... I put more love
 
Which then reminded me of Shohama’s class and this week's Parsha. They all seemed to be connected. Reminding me that I too needed to put more love in the world. As well as be gr8ful for the people, things, ideas all who show up to help me. 


Starting in March my younger son and I kept a gratitude chart each day. What are you Gr8ful for? Some days it was hard to think of three things and why. Other days, they rolled right out of our heads with ease. 

Have you ever been tagged in one of those Facebook gratitude challenges? The one where they say every day for the next week write three things you’re grateful for and why. Then tag another friend. 

Dear ones, 
I am challenging you to post three things a day you are gr8ful for on whatever social media, your own private journal, whatever you pick. Write three things, people, experiences you are gr8ful for each day and challenge three other people to do the same. 
Hopefully becoming more aware of the blessings you have in your life, will make your life better. I believe this exercise will definitely put more love in the world. 


Here are mine for the past few days:
  • I a profoundly gr8ful for all of you who read my blog and respond. I’m blown away every time. Really I am.
  • I am gr8ful to the man on the bench for helping me with Hebrew.
  • I am gr8ful to Bar and Guy at EuroCar for helping me rent a car from the other day.
  • I am gr8ful to younger son for continuing our gratitude chart, even when he’s not in the mood.
  • I am gr8ful to oldest son for keeping me looped in on all types of music.
  • I am gr8ful to all of the people who I have gotten to know here in Israel. I have studied with them, shared meals and call my friends.
I am having a little send-off on this Sat night. If you are in the neighborhood come by to bless me as I return to Chicago. And then to where ever I am supposed to go next. Message me for more info. Facebook invite is here.

More life adventures and thoughts to come. 
with ahava, 
Tamy

PS
The parsha Balak is so much fun, a talking donkey even! Take a look

Pretend Yoga on the beach Tel Aviv

new baby pomegranates are on their way

7 comments:

  1. I've been keeping a gratitude journal for more years than I can even count. It's a habit like brushing my teeth - I do it before I sleep. And you're right, some days are harder than others, but the practice helps me spend my days looking for things I'm grateful for - I say "Oh look! I can write that down tonight. THANK YOU!"
    And when you focus on great things, guess what you get more of?
    Thank you Tamy for starting this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have written a gratitude journal for years, first thing in the morning, Thankful for things yet to come. Then guess what? They happen. It's a routine and starts me off clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gratitude journal is letters to G-d. I write to Him everyday and the gratitude just comes pouring out of me because I expect it. How can anyone live without a gratitude journal? I've got journals going back for decades. It keeps me sane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story, Tamy. The Balaam story is awesome. Who knew the Torah features a talking ass?

    And you’re coming back!?! The adventure continues. Excited to watch the next season of The Tamy Show. You never know what will happen next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for encouraging me to read your latest blog...! I'm very grateful you did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even in these tough times, there is SO much for which to be grateful. I've certainly had angels appear in my life. Wishing you every good thing, dear Tamy.

    ReplyDelete