Studies- Text

Monday, July 13, 2020

My bags are packed...




Hi, a quick check-in note today,

My bags are packed and I am almost ready to go.
I am a few hours away from getting on a plane to fly back to Chicago, almost two years to the day since I left my hometown. WOW!

Two and a half years ago I came to visit friends in Israel.  It ended up being a life-changing trip, to say the least. Take a look at my very first blog post if you want to know more. Click Here

So many things happened that trip.

One was meeting an artist at Carmel Market named Orna Barel.

Chating with Orna as she wrapped up my gifts, she looks at me and says, can I give you a blessing? How can you say no to that?

So there I was standing with hundreds of people walking by as they were getting ready for Shabbat with her hands on my head, receiving a blessing.
Holy Cow Batman!
It was super powerful. She said things about me that only I know or knew I needed to hear. One of the things she said was… Tamy, most people look at a desert and see nothing. Vast emptiness, sand, rocks, and earth. But really there is lots of life in a desert. Seeds will be planted and new life grows. 

Each time I am in Tel Aviv I go to see her. As soon as I walk up she smiles the biggest smile and says Tamy you are here! We are always so happy to see each other. She remembers my name and my story. We are kindred spirits. There is a bond I can’t explain.

Last week was no exception, even with our masks on; we were beaming as we spoke to each other.  

I told her it was time for me to go back to the States for now. I think I am supposed to help make connections between Israel and the US. One of my tasks is to share my love for this country with my other home country.

As I hope you can imagine, she channeled another blessing for me. This time helping me see how much I have grown, healed, and changed in these past two years. So true, b’emet!
I had goosebumps the whole time.

As I retold this story to my friend Michelle, ironically sitting in the exact same cafe I sat with my friend, Iris years before, Michelle said, that little caucus flower you just bought, that is you! You have bloomed into a beautiful new flower. 


Hopefully, my travel plans will work out. I am looking forward to seeing my sons, family, and friends. 
Looking for a new job and ready for the next chapter of my life. 
I will be in self-imposed isolation for two weeks 
(July 14-28) in Evanston, IL. 
My American phone number will be back on 847.212.3550. WhatsApp should still work too.

I am so in love with this song. Hope you will take a listen. Aliyah by Laeli
Here a few of my favorite lines:
I get to thinking about the time I’ve spent. 

Memories made. 
Where they went. 
A painted picture of the life I’ve known ten thousand miles from home.
I am a stranger in the land I’ve known ten thousand miles from home.
My heart is calling for Jerusalem, ten thousand miles from home.

Come find your way back home.


So dear family and friends in my best 

Arnold Schwarzenegger voice:
I’ll be back!
I know my time here in Jerusalem and Israel is not over yet, just changing.


Blessing you all with love,
Until next time, 
Tamy
Little last prayer tonight at the Kotel


15 comments:

  1. G-dspeed and safe journeys beautiful Tamy. LOVE LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels sweetie! Can't wait to talk again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be safe. Will you "attend" the DLTI10 reunion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, can't wait to see you next week online

      Delete
  4. Be safe. Will you "attend" the DLTI10 reunion?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe travels. See you on the other side. 🐣

    ReplyDelete
  6. safe travels.. safe self quarantine.... see you around the 'hood...... xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you a safe trip and that your quarantine period is not too bad. I hope we can see each other once you are out and about.

    ReplyDelete